Monday, June 8, 2009

Rainy Days and Chocolate Crepes

Day 3 of my Europe Trip: It had been hard to get a good impression of Paris because the weather has been pretty sucky since we got here. Cold and rainy are not nice elements to have in a city where you walk everywhere! Surprisingly though, I have been able to keep busy. Yesterday Katie (my roommate) and I overslept but woke up in time to make it to our orientation meeting at the International Studies Abroad Office. After the ISA meeting (which was pretty dull), we went on a bus tour of the city. It was exciting to drive by everything that we will eventually tour. I took the picture above when we stopped at the Eiffel Tower. You can tell from the sky and the reflection of the tower that it was raining but it was still beautiful. We also saw President Obama and his family drive right in front of us with a caravan of police cars and reporters in tow. He was in town to give a speech on the D-Day anniversary which was Saturday. We all thought it was ironic that that was probably the closest any of us will ever be to him and it occurred here in Paris. After the tour we went to dinner. So far the hardest thing to adjust to has been the breakfasts. As one of my professors said: It is not Cracker Barrel breakfast. It is literally bread slices, butter and cheese. Since we overslept Katie and I did not get to eat lunch so needless to say I was starving when we got to the restaurant Le Moufftard. The dinner did not disappoint. We had salad, fish, steak, chicken, potatoes, green beans, wine, and apple pie for dessert! It was incredible. After the night's events, Katie and I got a little lost on the way home. The metro has been easy to figure out but we did not know how to get the our apartment from the metro! Luckily we found it and should never have that problem again. Today we started off with class in the morning which isn't that exciting but it is the reason I am here so I am thankful for the opportunity. After lunch at a cafe, we had a free afternoon so Katie, Ali, Rachael and I went to the Champs Elysees to shop and just walk around. We found a store called Zara that we just loved and spent most of the time there. We all splurged a little more than we intended but it was worth it. However the best part of the day was my first crepe! It was chocolate and insanely good. Too good to even try to describe. It seems as though I haven't been doing too much but after writing all this I guess I have been busy than I thought! Well it will only get more exciting as the days go on. Thanks for reading and I will post more soon! Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment