Top to bottom: Musee d'Orsay; Famous dancer sculpture; Van Gogh Painting; The Catacombes; Group picture after the Catacombe
Day 11 and 12: Sorry I forgot to write yesterday. I have just been having so much fun that when I get home I am exhausted! I think it was the trip this weekend that wore me out more than anything because the past two days have been fun but not really busy. Yesterday we started the day with class as we do every day in Paris. It still amazes me how much credit I am getting (6 hours!) for the small amount of class time we have but I guess its the interaction with French people helps. After class we headed to the Musee D'Orsay which also has famous works but it is not as well known as the Louvre. I actually enjoyed this one more though because the art was more recent. My favorite paintings were the ones by Van Gogh. My pictures don't really do them justice because the colors are vibrant and beautiful. I also liked the Monet paintings. After the museum, a small group of us went to see Dr. Romeiser. He has been inviting us over to his apartment to eat and talk about the trip. There are 22 of us on the trip and he only has 8 of them in his class so it was good to get to know him. I finally found some cheese here that I like which I thought would never happen! I have tried everything my host family has served me and I just did not like any of cheese they were giving us. The hard part is we don't want to be rude and they don't just throw away food here so I have had to essentially force down some of the cheese that was just not good. All the other food has been good though.
Anyway, today was an interesting day too. We had class again in the morning and then for lunch, I had Chinese food which was kind of weird to be doing it in Paris but it was good! After lunch, we went to visit the Catacombes. The Catacombes are underground tunnels in Paris that are full of bones. In the 1800s, the cemeteries were actually spreading diseases so they moved all the bodies out and put them in the Catacombes. It was the creepiest thing I have ever done in my life. You walk down these pathways with the walls just lined with bones. There are skulls all around you and all I could think was that those skulls used to be real people! The whole thing was just weird and scary. Tonight, after dinner, we went bowling! It was so fun and it is exactly the same as it is in the States. It was good to do something different and I won in my lane!
It is getting late now. Tomorrow we have a free afternoon so I may not do too much because this weekend we go to Normandy! It will be a four day trip so it may be a while before I post again. Get excited, I am sure the one when we get back will be a long one! I will either post tomorrow or in a few days. Until then, Au Revoir!!
I cannot wait to hear about Normandy. I am SO very jealous of you. When I was there, I didn't like the cheese either so I am glad you found one you liked.
ReplyDeleteLove you so and miss you. Mom