Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Last Day

Day 25: I must have miscounted something because this was supposed to be day 26. Haha oh well! Well it is almost 7 pm in Paris and tomorrow at 1:30 I will be boarding a plane for the States. Sorry I don't have pictures up again but I will get them up on Facebook in the next couple of days. Today has been a pretty good last day. Helen and I went to Versailles which was absolutely humongous and beautiful! I couldn't believe the lavishness the royalty experienced back in the 17th-18th century. Helen said it was no wonder the citizens revolted considering some of them were starving while the royal family was sitting in a unbelievable palace. My favorite part was the gardens. They were really beautiful. For some reasons they didn't have the fountains turned on today but the garden was still great. Touring the area took just about the whole day when you include a nap because we were so exhausted. Tonight we will go out for dinner and go to Champs Elysses.
As much as I have loved the trip, I am ready to come home. It really wears you out going at the pace I have been going for 3 and half weeks. However, I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. I had no idea what to expect when I got to Paris. The farthest out of the US I had been was on a cruise. The first week I got here I was just in awe of the beauty of the city. The history of the buildings in particular. As my time went on I started to notice little things around me such as the people. I can honestly say I have not encountered anyone in my travels that has had a problem with Americans (lets cross our fingers that doesn't happen tonight!) That was surprising and refreshing because you hear such terrible things. Some of the Parisennes were a little cold hearted but I honestly think you would experience much of the same thing if you stayed for an extended time in a big city like New York. That became apparant when we travelled outside of Paris and we noticed people were much nicer. It is just hard to take at first when you are used to smiling Southerners all around! I learned so much from my host family too. They were one of my favorite parts of the trip. Other favorites: Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, walking the bay to Mont St. Michel, visiting the American Cemetary in Normandy, wine tasting in Loire Valley, our tour guide in the Louvre and the one on our walking tours, the bike tour in Amsterdam and the countless memories I have made with people on the trip. I know that I am so blessed to have had this opportunity and there was no better time in my life to have this experience. It may be a long time before I can do something like this again so I am happy to say I made the most out of it. Before I go, I do have to thank a few people that made this trip so great. First, of course, my parents for the funding; my friends new and old who kept me entertained; my teachers and ISA directors for planning a fantastic trip, and to YOU for reading! I know most of you all are just friends and family but I hope you have enjoyed reading as much as I have enjoyed writing. Thanks for everything and I will see you back in the States! Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment