Well a lot has happened since my last blog as I’m sure you can imagine! I have to apologize again for not getting any pictures up here. I intended to start getting all of my pictures onto my computer but I realized I forgot to bring my camera cord! So sorry all you have to look at on here is my writing. Since my last post I have seen Chicago and Penn State and today we arrived in Killington, VT. Chicago was a relief of a tournament because it was only a 78-player field. We had become accustomed to organizing tournaments with 144 players so about half of that just felt like a breeze. We also had an extra set up day because our qualifier was on a Monday so we were able to go into Chicago on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy the city a little bit. Greg, Kate and I actually went to see a Tom Petty concert in Union Center where the Bulls play. It was a really good concert even though Tom Petty is a little weird! Later in the week we were able to go see Inception and even go to Six Flags Great America. With a 78 player field, we got done around 4 every afternoon. It was amazing!
Penn State was another fun tournament. It has been amazing seeing the difference between our first week and our eighth. We had 4 people from the South Central (Texas area) team helping us with this one because it was another 144 which was so helpful but we have really gotten the hang of how to run a tournament. It is starting to feel so routine. Well, I should say it was starting to feel so routine. Remember how Kate was the Flex position on our team? She was Comms about 60% of the time and Ops 40%. Well AJGA decided to give all of us on Comms an opportunity to see more of the Ops side. We have started rotating out the Flex position and Penn State was my week to take it on. It was definitely a learning experience and my biggest challenge was getting over being taken away from my Comms comfort zone. For those of you know me really well, I like to take charge of situations and kind of naturally gravitate toward leadership positions. Well last week I was definitely not able to do that. Being a Flex, you really just go where you are needed so I helped Comms with post-round tasks and was on the Ops crew mainly on set up days. It was weird to go into the Ops stuff not knowing anything when at this point they are all experts in it! I asked a lot of questions but it was a lot of fun to do some new things. For example, I selected all the hole locations for the second round and did some course set up as well. I also did A LOT of rules officiating. I probably handled more rulings than I had all summer but the good news is I am becoming a lot more confident with them and I even helped a couple kids without having to call in or ask for help over the radio. I liked doing Ops but I am still more comfortable with Comms and will most likely be sticking close to HQ for the rest of summer!
The tournament went smoothly and I also loved State College, Pa. I really hadn’t realized how pretty Pennsylvania is but we had great views, great weather and, thanks to the help from the extra team members, we had more time to make the most out of being in a wonderful college town.
As I am writing this, I have about two weeks left of this internship. I can’t believe it has gone by so fast! The hours have weared on me a little more lately but I am happy to say my heart is still in this job and I am going to try to finish the summer out strong. So far, Killington is a beautiful place and from here we will head on to Rye, NY so I will try to keep you updated!
No comments:
Post a Comment