Just when I was worried about this maybe getting boring, things start to get exciting again! I will just go through it day by day so I don't forget anything!
Wednesday was the second round of the Rolex Girls Junior Championship. I think my assignments that day included taking pictures of sponsorship signage and course scenery. After that I had some free time (which is so rare!!!), so I decided to write a blog for the AJGA blog. They want us to do at least one a tournament which is hard to find time for as well as find ideas for but this one plopped right in my lap. I was taking pictures of signage while girls were teeing off No.10 and we had invited the announcers from the Verizon Heritage Classic tournament in Harbour Town in Hilton Head to start the girls off. I started talking to one of them and he had done some pretty cool stuff so I decided that would be a great thing to write about. Here's a link to what ended up going on the website, just scroll down a few and mine is the one with the picture of two guys in plaid:
http://www.ajga.org/Blog/index.asp
After the round ended, my job was to enter scores into our program (Infoscore) and we also had to redo pairings (the groups the girls play in) for the final round. We still had a little bit more to do but the club had organized for the girls to go on a dolphin cruise on the member's boats. We try to take pictures of everything so my boss wanted me to go out and take pictures of it. I wasn't sure how cool it was going to be because I had never really heard of the dolphins being particularly friendly in Hilton Head but, let me tell you, it was AMAZING!! The dolphins came so close to us (as you can see from the picture above) and it is just moments like that that make me so thankful that I get to do things like that for my summer job. It was great.
Thursday was the final round of the tournament and it was INTENSE! 14-year-old Cindy Feng ended up winning by four strokes in her second consecutive AJGA Invitational win. The girl hasn't even hit high school yet and she is so talented! She is going places and I was the lucky one who got to interview her, which was pretty cool. I will be writing these recaps at least once a week so eventually they will probably not be as exciting but, for the moment, it is still cool to see my writing on an official website. Here's a link to the story I wrote about Cindy's win!
http://www.ajga.org/TournResults/2010/Results.asp?TN=T26&RD=3
After we got all of our final round duties finished, it was time to pack up! Our time in Hilton Head went by so fast I couldn't believe it. Packing up is probably one of my least favorite things to do because there is always just so much going on. Regardless, we got everything together and then were able to go spend some time by the pool. The members at Long Cove Club (where the tournament was) housed all of us so we went over to one house and they had cooked dinner for us and we just relaxed in the pool. It was really nice to spend some time with my team without talking about golf!
On Friday we woke up around to 7 to hit the road at 8 for Columbia which was only about a 2 and half hour drive. Our previous drives have been 13 and 18 hour trips so I was actually kind of disappointed to have a short drive because I had been using that time to catch up on sleep!! We got to Columbia, ate lunch, picked up our courtesy cars for the week (2 Chrysler Town and Country mini vans!!) and headed to our new home golf course for the week at Columbia Country Club. When we get to a new place there is a lot of unloading and setting up to do. It takes a while but we got through it and then Greg (my comms partner) and I got started on some tournament set-up in Infoscore. We weren't there for too long though and then went to Brixx for dinner and headed to our hotel for the week! I haven't really decided how I feel about Private Housing vs. Hotels. Our private housing in Hilton Head was really great but it is not always like that. But, typically, in private housing you get your own room, full-time (and free!) access to laundry and it obviously feels more homey than a hotel. However, in a hotel, they clean up after you and it is really nice having our whole team in one place. I guess I will see if my preferences get stronger as the summer goes on!
Today we had a lot to do to get ready for the qualifier tomorrow. A lot of pairings to create, copies to make, documents to print, cart signs to design, etc., etc. I won't go into the boring details but it was long. We were still able to get everything we needed to done though and then some. The qualifier tomorrow is pretty big and it is a later start (1:00 pm shotgun) which means we will be in Headquarters late into the night so I am going to go to sleep. Lets hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow! I will update again soon!
Love,
Kathryn
No comments:
Post a Comment